Friday, December 4, 2015

Ghana Chocolates<3

05/12/2015

Final exams are just around the corner. Time flies. I feel so awkward when new year approaches at this time. December , which includes my birthday (6th), seems to have color on its name. Every place is full of red waiting for the long waited Christmas. Most classes were wrapped up and we are ready to say good bye to class mates.

You know when you are chased by the time and packed schedule, it seems to us that everyone around us lives in a same way. Even if she has a little bit different character or eccentric personality from us in Korea, we don't exaggerate her life story, but consider she is just the same one like us.

However, an ordinary day, in the same class with familiar friends, I found out a compelling story from one of our class mates who exactly looked an everyday sort of man like the others. She spent her adolescence in Ghana. Yes, in Africa! In Korea, so to speak, people have great amount of interest in Korea-born people who lived in foreign country for a long time, including even neighboring countries such as China and Japan. But 5 years in Africa surrounded by totally different background people? I was shocked. She calmly explained how that was what she saw and how much she wanted to come back. She had go to there because of her parents who have good cause for helping people in the name of NGO. In company with new experience, she blamed on her parents that she could not spend her youth life in more advanced place. She felt that she was 5 years behind the normal Korean students. So she decided to come back letting her parents continue working there. The fact that their 'actual' house is in Ghana is still surprising.

Nevertheless, she says those experiences are worthy. I agreed with her. Unlike other Korean people, she unconstrainedly makes foreign friends. I mean, If I hang out with them I can see that some people glance at us wondering how they became friends. (Maybe I am a sensitive one), but she doesn't mind this at all, as she recognizes that there is no difference at all between herself and them. I'm sure the more open when seeing people, the better person one can become. I expect you will be an excellent Korean teacher with that in mind. Cheers for 2016 and for both of us! I hope to meet you again! ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment